For thousands of companies across the world, a specific season means a spike in demand: The retailer that gets increased orders before Christmas or the telecommunications provider that has more people signing contracts when a new version of a mobile phone is released, to name just two examples.
And spikes are not only seasonal. They can occur at the end of the month or quarter or year or even at certain times of the day. There are many time-sensitive, high-volume processes that have to be done by a certain time or companies risk losing revenue or incurring fines-
During such peak times of increased workloads, companies have two choices: Work with existing staff to slowly work off the backlog or hire additional staff.
Both options aren't ideal because they mean a lot of time is lost: either in working off backlogs or in the recruitment and training process. It's also impossible to increase resources on short notice.
Which is where one of the key advantages of Robotic Process Automation comes into play: scalability
How it works
With RPA, robots perform pre-determined tasks, exactly following the workflow layed out by the company. A new robot does not have to learn the workflow anew, it simply follows it. That means that if a backlog occurs, robots can easily be scaled without a pre-planning period.
Once the process is in place, any robot can be assigned to it. And because they’re robots, they can do the same tasks over and over again, day and night, without tiring or making errors. That makes RPA bots uniquely efficient in working off backlogs or in completing time-sensitive processes.
They’re also cost efficient: there is no need for recruiting processes or training. Which means they make scaling more economical.
Benefits of Scaling Virtual Robots
- Can be scaled without pre-planning period
- Do not have to be trained: Once a process is in place, any robot can be assigned to it and it will follow the workflow exactly
- Cost efficient scaling possible for short peak times, making scaling more economical and improving overall productivity, since more processes can be scaled
- Faster than humans, quickly working off backlogs and task queues
- Improved process delivery since they can complete the same process again and again without tiring or making errors
- Work day & night
Do you want to know more about RPA and how it can help your business?